Taking Care of Your Smile at Home
How to Brush Your Teeth
While brushing your teeth can sometimes feel like a chore, it is the best thing you can do to preserve a healthy, beautiful smile. All it takes is around 2 minutes to properly clean your teeth, but amazingly enough, most adults don’t come close to accomplishing this. Here is how to brush your teeth in three easy steps:
- place your brush at a 45 degree angle to your teeth and use a sweeping/rolling motion. Visualize sweeping under and out from your gumline with the brush
- brush all surfaces of your teeth in short strokes, using the method above
- Remember to gently brush your tongue to remove bacteria and freshen your breath.
if you aren’t already doing so, consider using an electric brush with a small round rotating brush as it is easier to brush more effectively with this type of system. Dr. Molinar can help you select one.
How to Floss Your Teeth
Proper flossing will remove plaque and particles of food from between your teeth and under the gumline where your toothbrush cannot adequately reach. Here are the fundamentals of good flossing technique:
- Start with about 18 inches of floss and wrap most of it around each middle finger leaving several inches exposed between these fingers.
- Slide the exposed floss between your teeth, and move it up and down the adjacent faces of each tooth, being sure to gently curve the floss around the base under the gumline
- Use a new section of floss for each space between your teeth.